Basic Installation and Configuration
This page provides guidance for installing the Intel® Movidius™ Neural Compute SDK (Intel® Movidius™ NCSDK).
- Compatible neural compute device (like the Intel® Movidius™ Neural Compute Stick)
- Development computer with a supported OS:
- x86-64 with Ubuntu (64 bit) 16.04 Desktop
- Raspberry Pi 3 with Raspbian Stretch (starting with SDK 1.09.xx)
- Other operating environments (with supported OS):
- Internet connection
- USB camera (optional, needed for some examples)
To perform the typical installation of the NCSDK, use the following command on your host machine:
git clone -b ncsdk2 http://github.com/Movidius/ncsdk && cd ncsdk && make install
-b ncsdk2 option checks out the latest version of NCSDK 2 from the ncsdk2 branch. If you omit this option you will install the NCSDK version on the master branch, which is currently NCSDK 1.x.
For more information about NCAPI changes, see the Neural Compute API overview.
Raspberry Pi Installation
We recommend a 16GB SD card for a full NCSDK installation.
You will likely need to increase the swapfile size on the Raspberry Pi in order to successfully complete NCSDK and/or OpenCV installation. To increase the swapfile size, edit the value of CONF_SWAPSIZE in /etc/dphys-swapfile:
sudo nano /etc/dphys-swapfile
The default value is 100 (MB). We recommend that you change this to 1024 (MB) or greater.
Then restart the swapfile service:
sudo /etc/init.d/dphys-swapfile restart
Proceed with installation as shown above. After you have installed the NCSDK (and optionally OpenCV), you should change the swapfile size back to 100 MB.
To uninstall the NCSDK, type the following command: